Monday, October 20, 2008

Skinned Knees

Skinned knees are, to me, the epitome of childhood. Recently, Emmy took a tumble on the back patio and skinned her knees for the first time. I, of course, gasped in horror and thanked the heavens above that we live so close to a hospital. (Because surely this would require a trip to Emergency, right?...Sometimes I overreact. You can imagine how helpful I am in real emergencies.) Emmy, the Iron Baby, just stood back up, looked down at her scraped knees, wiped them off and returned to her business of running aimlessly through the backyard.

Without so much as a whimper!

Once my heart stopped racing and I knew everything was fine, I started thinking about how symbolic the moment seemed. Emmy is going to have a lifetime of "skinned knees" and I hope she is able to get up and brush herself off each time. As a mother, I want to teach my sweet little Emmy Lou that it is okay to take the time and reflect on life's bumps and bruises but that eventually the scrapes will heal and she will be able to "get back to business."

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

It sounds like your little sweetie is a tough girl. So glad you joined the blog world. I saw your post on facebook and wanted to check it out. I love blogging!
Jennifer